By: Terry Burgess, Owner and Career/Executive Leadership Coach, Upward MC
Last week I was talking with someone about being a midlife coach, when they asked me “What are some signs that a person may be having a “Midlife Crisis”? I explained that there are several different signs and gave 2 to 3 examples plus an detail explanation. A day or two later I decided to do a little creative research and developed my own top 25 signs you may be having a “Midlife Crisis” or “Midlife Challenge”.
This list is not all inclusive. Some individuals may have signs that are not on this list. If you know of any signs not listed here, please share them with me. Many individuals may only exhibit a few of these signs while others may exhibit nearly all of them.
So without any further ado… Here is my list.
Top 25 Signs You May be Having a Midlife Crisis
- Desiring a simple life
- Start looking up old boyfriends or girlfriends on social media sites
- Start thinking about going to church but never act on it
- Excessively reminisce about your childhood
- Take no pleasure in your friends’ successes
- Want to change your friends but don’t meet anyone new that you like
- Obsessively compare your appearance with others the same age
- Start taking vitamins
- Longingly look at old pictures of yourself
- Read obituaries in the newspapers with far greater interest to see who and how people died
- Start dyeing your hair when it goes grey
- Worry over balding or thinning hair
- Contemplate having a hair transplant or plastic surgery
- Flirt embarrassingly with people 20 years younger than you
- Stop telling people your age
- Splurging on an expensive motorcycle or vehicle
- Worry about a younger person taking your job
- Dream about being able to quit work but know that you’ll Just never be able to afford to quit
- Constantly compare your career success with your friends
- Cannot see a time when you will be able to afford to retire
- Coming to realize you will never be able to pay off your student loan and/or mortgage
- Dread calls at unexpected times from your parents (fearing the worst)
- Go to reunion tours of your favorite bands from the 70s and 80s
- Hangovers get worse and last more than a day on occasions
- Realize that PBS is your favorite TV Station and NPR is your favorite radio station
If you are needing help or discernment on where to go next in your midlife journey. Please feel free to contact me for a complimentary 1-hour coaching session. I can help you develop a simple starting point plan to help you get on the road from your “midlife crisis” to your “midlife rediscovery and redesign” for your life. You can visit http://bit.ly/SchedulewithTerry to schedule you complimentary coaching hour!
Terry is a Personal Leadership and Midlife Coach for Men with Upward MC in Benton, Kentucky. He can be contacted via e-mail at Terry@upwardmc.com or by phone at 270-493-0967. His website can be found at http://www.terrypburgess.com